Monday, November 7, 2011

What Day Is It?


I’ve been so sleepy that I haven’t been writing. We’re on Day 4 of Sea Days. The first day was very rocky and I felt kind of sick. Until now it has been pretty calm, but today at lunch we suddenly got some pretty rough waters. So I’m lying in bed before dinner feeling the ship rocking and hoping I won’t fall while I’m working.

I’ve been very frustrated with the management the past few days. Everywhere I turn someone is telling me I need to do this and that and I’m doing this wrong. Well, I’m working on it, but at the moment my hands are full and this person just asked me for 10 lemonades. If I was one of the people standing around in the bus station all the time I would understand, but I don’t stop moving as long as there is something to be done. I’m not standing idly. It just doesn’t matter what I do. I could be standing in the bus station waiting to put all of my stuff down while other people are in my way and they will ask if I’m standing there for a meeting. Or the one time I stop to take a break, a supervisor is there.

Oh, and my shirts are too big. Well, I asked for a small when I ordered my uniforms and they gave me a medium. Didn’t have time to do anything about it at the time because I had to start my shift. By the time I got a chance to exchange it I was told that I only had 2 days to exchange it. If someone had told me that I would have worked a little harder to get there before then. So now I’m wearing shirts that are way too big and I haven’t had time to buy new ones because the store is only open from 11-2. That’s when I work…But I don’t Look The Part and that’s very important. Maybe you should give me some time to fix it then? Everywhere I go, you need a different shirt.

On top of that, we are preparing for USPH when we get to Ft. Lauderdale so we are doing a lot of deep cleaning. Working from 5-12:30 for dinner. Last night I was given the impossible task of cleaning out the closet where all of the cleaning supplies are. Where everyone dumps the dirty water. So naturally, my closet didn’t pass inspection when my supervisor came with his stupid flashlight because every time a wiped out the sink or the shelf someone else came and used it.

Other than the management issues, I’m enjoying life. After 90 days I can apply for a different position. I think I’m going to apply for bar server. I talked to Gary today and he said that I could apply but it was unlikely that I would switch during this contract. They will have me come back for another contract in that position. I think I would be better as a bar server, because I like to talk to the guests a lot and guests like to talk to me. Don’t get much of a chance for that in the dining room because it’s so fast paced. My plan was to switch to bar server after 90 days and if I decided to do another contract I would take some bartending classes during my vacation so I could apply for bartender.

Once we start the Caribbean itinerary there will be a lot more drinking so that’s where most of the money will be.

I REALLY, REALLY need to learn Spanish. Anyone wanna buy me Rosetta Stone for Christmas?

I'll have pictures up soon. 

2 comments:

  1. I've tried several times to write a post and cannot figure it out... I'll try again... Anyway, Cass I am so proud of you!!! What an amazing experience this is for you. I know that it has it's struggles, all new jobs do. Just hang in there and know that we are praying for you here at home. Just do the best that you can! and you will do wonderful! Hugs to you!! Love, Steff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, sorry to be 'anonymous'... but that is the only way it would let me post :) Google wouldn't work. Just glad it worked this way. Steff Noyd

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
My name is Cassie. This is my blog. It is about working on a cruise ship. You can read it if you want.